Sticky BBQ chicken


Last weekend was Fathers Day here in the UK, so we decided to have a family BBQ (reasoning I like to BBQ, I had a decent box of craft beers to drink and it was warm weather)



I did a few things, a standard pulled pork & coleslaw, burgers (I always enjoy burgers, and Tescos have started selling brioche burger buns again, so was a no brainer), chicken legs with oregano/sumac (this is SeriousEats fault - I happened to read a recipe they had about grilled chicken with za'atar which was basically sumac plus some other herbs, so when I then saw the sumac in the supermarket I impulse bought some) - but to be honest, it was a little bit of a let down.  The pork wasn't as good as my previous outing (I'm putting it down to a worse piece of meat) and the chicken was a little overdone. However, the one highlight was a BBQ chicken experiment.

I didn't really put any thought into it, I just thought I would slap some dry rub and BBQ sauce on some chicken legs and leave it at that - and they came out better than I expected.

They had a good contrast of the standard sweet/smoky BBQ flavour you would expect, plus a little heat and the deep red, sticky effect you have with good BBQ wings (these were legs though).


There are two elements, to it - one is a basic update to my last BBQ sauce (although either would work) and my latest dry-rub, which is pretty basic, but can be used on pretty much anything (as I have said before, stick it on potato wedges etc). The key is to apply the rub to the chicken before grilling, then 10 minutes or so before they are ready to come off, liberally brush the legs with the BBQ sauce and grill further - This will thicken up the sauce and give it the sticky consistency, but applying the sauce at the start of cooking will just result in burnt sauce.

BBQ Sauce - Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoon dark brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons american mustard (like Frenchs)
  • 2 tablespoons caster sugar
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • couple dashes hot sauce (something like Franks Hot Sauce)
  • 1 teaspoon chilli powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 3 tablespoon cider vinegar
  • salt & pepper seasoning
  • 250ml ketchup

  1. Again, really simple - stick all the ingredients except the ketchup into a saucepan and mix and then bring to a simmer

  2. Add the ketchup and a tablespoon or two of water and simmer for 30minutes or so - or until the sauce is reduced to a BBQ sauce like consistency


Dry rub

Dry rubs are really simple, just get all the ingredients and mix them together. They can happily last a few months in a jar so will last the summer - although this quantity is reduced - this probably covers a medium piece of pulled pork (1-2 kg) and 8 chicken legs or so.
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon coarse sea salt
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon dark brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
  • 1/4 tablespoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 tablespoon chilli powder
  • 1 tablespoon caster sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional - adjust according to how hot you like)
Rob Shambolically fumbling my way around the kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment